The International Writers’ Workshop (IWW) at HKBU is a self-funded, non-profit programme supported solely by donations. Its goal is to invite writers from around the world to visit HKBU and engage in creativity-inspiring activities with local students, writers, and the general Hong Kong community. Since its establishment in 2004, IWW has invited over hundred writers from fifty countries to Hong Kong. They stay on campus and interact with university students and staff, as well as with Hong Kong writers and the public, in order to cultivate creativity, enhance popular interest in literature and the humanities, and provide opportunities for cultural exchange within and outside the university campus. The establishment of the International Writers’ Workshop may be regarded as an important and historically significant initiative to promote cultural and educational activities in Hong Kong.
- The objectives of IWW are three-fold:
- at university level, to encourage creative writing and engage students in literary discussion;
- at local level, to enrich the cultural life of Hong Kong people; and
- at international level, to inspire literary creativity of writers from around the globe through exposing them to Hong Kong life and culture.
IWW has two programmes each year: Writer-in-Residence and Visiting Writers.
During the writers’ residency, writing workshops, public lectures, class visits, literary salons with local writers, and media interviews are arranged for the writers. All of the activities are free of charge and many of them are held off-campus, so that it is convenient for the public to participate.
In spring, a renowned Chinese writer is invited to stay on campus for two to three months, they are:
- 2004 – Mr. Chen Yingzhen
- 2005 – Prof. Li Yu
- 2006 – Mr. Li Rui
- 2007 – Mr. Ya Hsien
- 2008 – Mr. Hong Shaogong
- 2009 – Mr. Hwang Chun-ming
- 2010 – Mr. Zhang Wei
- 2011 – Mr. Lo Yi-chin
- 2012 – Mr. Yan Lianke
- 2013 – Prof. Su Wei-chen
- 2014 – Prof. Bi Feiyu
- 2015 – Ms. Li Ang
In the fall, approximately eight international writers, are invited to visit Hong Kong Baptist University for a month. The group includes six to seven foreign writers and two Chinese writers. Each year the programme is set a theme:
- 2004 - Writers from Post-colonial English-speaking Countries
- 2005 - Understanding the Islamic World and Its Writers
- 2006 - One with Mother-Nature
- 2007 - Writing the Sea and the Waterfront
- 2008 - Writers from Eastern Europe
- 2009 - Writers from the Pacific Rim
- 2010 - Writers from the Mediterranean
- 2011 - Writers from Northern and Central Europe
- 2012 - Writing the Metropolis
- 2013 - Passages through Time: Endings and Beginnings
- 2014 - The Magical Reality of Writing
- 2015 - Words and Other Interventions
During their stay, writing workshops, public lectures, class visits, literary salons with local writers, and media interviews are arranged for the writers. All of the activities are free of charge and many of them are held off-campus, so that it is convenient for the public to participate.